Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Mint Jelly


Mint Jelly

I made a double batch, the yield was 13, 8 oz. containers.
When looking up recipes there are MANY to choose from.
I went with Fresh Eggs Daily's that used water & less sugar. Recipe HERE
From start to finish picking the mint, washing, drying, cooking and canning it = 6 hours.

If however, you are using older mint.
Mint you bought from the store, a neighbor gave you or you purchased a farmers market
I'd advise using THIS recipe.
It uses apple juice instead of water.
Fresh picked I didn't need any extra sweetness or flavor, the taste was amazing and strong!
Older mint - still soft and live, but not fresh picked might need a boost.


Again I don't add dyes to food.
This is dye free mint jelly and TRUST me its amazing!
 
Next year I think I'll buy more of these tiny jars and make up a few extra batches in the spring when my mint patch really takes off!
These will be perfect for presents & for using with all sorts of dishes.
I can't wait to try it with roasted rabbit!

2 comments:

  1. Telisha, this sounds SO good! Do you generally use it with meats? I have a bunch of mint that desperately needs harvesting. I'm totally gonna try it! Thank you for sharing - you always have such useful and intriguing posts....I'm falling in love with the blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evelyn sorry its taken me so long to answer - got a bit overwhelmed this winter. Our new favorite way to use this dish is to pour it over cream cheese and serve it with crackers - its highly addicting!

      Delete